Membership in the Master Gardeners Association of Alberta (MGAA) is open to Alberta residents who have received a Master Gardener certificate from a program recognized by the Society.
Three Categories of Membership
1. Active Members – individuals who have received their Master Gardener certificate, are members in good standing, and annually volunteer as Master Gardeners depending on their circumstances, to their best of their ability in an administrative capacity, in ongoing education, or in volunteer service to the public; reporting hours and activities volunteered annually at the time of membership renewal. Active members are entitled to receive notice of, attend, and vote at all general meetings of the Association, and to hold office.
New Membership: $40 per year, expiring December 31st, payment by cheque or cash;
(July 1st – December: Prorated to $20.00)
Membership Renewal: $40 per year, expiring December 31st, payment by cheque or cash;
(no prorated fees for renewals)
2. Student Members – individuals who are currently registered in a provincial Master Gardener Educational Program recognized by the Association, up to December 31st of the year that they complete their training program; at a reduced membership fee.
Students are entitled to receive notice of and attend general meetings of the Association, but are not entitled to vote or hold office.
Membership: $10.00 per year while registered in a program of MGAA studies: benefits expire December 31st of the year that studies are completed. Active Membership benefits are available after that.
3. Honorary Members – individuals recognized by the MGAA for their significant contribution to the affairs of the Association. Honorary members are not required to perform or report volunteer service. Honorary members are entitled to receive notice of and attend general meetings of the Association, but are not entitled to vote or hold office.
Membership Requirements: Volunteer Hours
The MGAA recognizes that members’ capacity for undertaking volunteer activity in areas such as administration, ongoing education, or volunteer service to the public may depend on circumstances: there is no minimum number of volunteer hours required to maintain membership in the organization. To maintain active Master Gardener status and membership with the MGAA, as of 2019 requires its members to report their volunteer hours for the previous year at the time of membership renewal, together with a summary of their most significant contributions.
Volunteer activities are categorized as follows:
- Administration e.g. board members, organizing committees, MGAA training programs.
- Ongoing personal education in the area of gardening e.g. attendance at educational events, undertaking a project, taking horticultural courses from recognized institutions.
- Volunteer service to the public e.g. helping at school, community or public gardens, providing educational opportunities, fielding ‘Ask A Master Gardener’ questions in public venues.
- Other e.g. gardening volunteer activities not adequately captured in the above three categories.
Please download and complete the Volunteer Hours Reporting Form and email it to at the time you renew, or mail to the MGAA registered address at: P.O. Box 73074, Hamptons Post Office, Edmonton, Alberta T5T 3X1